Friday 16 May 2008

Rainy days = UNcooking time!

The sun has gone away, woke up to the rain drumming on my window. So wrapped up and shuffled to the sofa..after going through a few books, websites.. I figured I would try doing something with aubergine.

Had a relaxed day, went for a run..apart from that just been vegging out hardly eaten, just lots of water and been making things..which seems to completely kill my appetite! I need someone nearby to come and eat up all my offerings! lol

I have to admit to not knowing exactly what I wanted to make on starting!!

Aubergine(Eggplant) Chips -- Fries to you guys the other side of the big pond!

1 Aubergine -- UK grown, greenhouse

First I peeled it, sliced it




I made various shapes, as I wasn't sure if I was going to make "chips" or use it as a "meat" sub.. so.. this is why I used various shapes to start with.



Then soaked this in

Filtered water
Juice of 1 lemon
Sea salt

for 1 hour, squeezing them well halfway through.


After this they are completely soft and limp! I marinated them quickly and put them on a plate before dehydrating.

Olive oil

Basic curry spices quickly ground up

Cayenne Pepper (because I LOVE IT!!)


Massage it well in, make sure they are all coated well.




I then laid them on a plate, trying not to overlap too many. Was a lot from the 1 Aubergine

Here they are after 6 hours, you could easily take them out after 4, process and make into burgers or meatballs.. I think they need a bit more, so will be giving them another 3-4 hours. They are just starting to crisp up!





Will report back on their taste tomorrow.... More creations tomorrow....

No comments: